Arabic-L:PEDA:Grammar Book suggestion

Wed Oct 24 18:52:36 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Grammar Book suggestion

Date: 24 Oct 2007
From:paul roochnik <proochnikllc at yahoo.com>
Subject:Grammar Book suggestion

Dear Friends,

I need a particular type of Arabic grammar book to use in class.
Perhaps it exists, perhaps it does not.  This book would contain a
huge compilation of MEANINGFUL activities and games for classroom or
homework, categorized by grammatical points.  For example, it should
include a chapter on the iDaafa; a chapter on the various types of
conditionals (law, idha, in); a chapter for each type of verb
(hollow, defective, etc.) etc. etc.

Of course, most textbooks contain grammar exercises, but notice the
word "exercise" -- often these involve conjugating verbs in
isolation, without meaningful context.  Context, context, context:
that's what our students need, in order to master the grammar.  You
can sit and conjugate verbs mindlessly till you turn blue in the
face, but will all that effort pay off?

So, if anybody has run across such a text, please let us know about
it.  Otherwise, a bunch of us ought to get together and plan to
compile such a book ourselves -- maybe we can talk about it at MESA
in Montreal.

Cheers,
Abu Sammy

Paul Roochnik