Arabic-L:PEDA:Grammar Book suggestion responses

Tue Oct 30 22:47:35 UTC 2007

Arabic-L: Tue 30 Oct 2007

1) Subject:Grammar Book suggestion response
2) Subject:Grammar Book suggestion response
3) Subject:Grammar Book suggestion response
4) Subject:Grammar Book suggestion response
5) Subject:Grammar Book suggestion response

Date: 30 Oct 2007
From:"Muhammet Gunaydin" <mgunaydin at istanbul.edu.tr>
Subject:Grammar Book suggestion response

Dear Paul;

I would suggest a book called  "al-qawaid al-arabiyyah al-muyassarah" (
القواعد العربية الميسرة) by the Arabic Language
Institute of the University
of Malik Sa'uud.

The book is a part of a serial prepared for non-Arab learners of
Arabic. It
is organized according to grammatical subjects such as "mudhakkar-
muannath",
"mufrad-muthanna-jam'", "nakra-marifa", etc. Each lesson begins with
a short
text "created" to show a special grammatical point, followed by a
plenty of
exercises/homeworks. At the end of each lesson it offers a summary of
the
grammatical points of that specific lesson. (The major defect of the
book is
the usage of "created texts" mostly, instead of "original, real
texts" in
its lessons.)

Though it needs to be updated since it is originally published in
1980s, I
think it is still usable. We use it in our Arabic program. I would e-
mail
you a part of it in PDF to look at it if you wish.

Finally, of course, this book is in Arabic. If a group of Arabists
initiates
a compilation of an Arabic grammar book in English compiled in a
manner you
have suggested, I would love to participate since I liked the idea very
much.

Best,
Muhammet

Dr.Muhammet Gunaydin,
Lecturer of ARABIC LANGUAGE AND RHETORIC
ISTANBUL UNIVERSITY FACULTY OF THEOLOGY
Baba Hasan Alemi Mah.Kavalali Sok. No:1
34080 Fatih/ISTANBUL
Tel:+ 90 (212) 532 60 64 (office)+90 0532 615 5570 (cell)