Arabic-L:LING:ja ‘ala+ object+verb

Sat Sep 1 15:43:32 UTC 2007

1) Subject:ja‘ala+ object+verb correction
2) Subject:ja‘ala+ object+verb response

Date: 01 Sep 2007
Subject:ja‘ala+ object+verb correction

that should be 'takfiirii  heave-
ho."                                           --ms

Date: 01 Sep 2007
From:Dil Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>
Subject:ja‘ala+ object+verb response

Bedawi, Carter and Gully describe the construction (and call the verb
an instance of Haal) in 3.11.2.2, and compare it to a similar
construction with wajada in 3.11.2.3.

Although it is probably true that this was not an extremely common
construction in premodern Arabic, it was not unknown.
arabiCorpus.byu.edu brings up a few examples in the premodern corpus,
including an interesting one from 1001 Nights, as part of a story in
which two men are riding, one gets hungry, and the other keeps asking
if he would like this type of food or that type of food (reaching 24
different types), and the other one finally gets annoyed and says:

يكفي هل أنت تجعلني أشتهي الألوان ولا
أنظر شيئ

يكفي هل أنت تجعلني :شتهي الألوان ولا
أنظر شيئا

yakfii... hal 'anta tajcalunii 'ashtahi Al'AlwAn wlA 'anZur shay'an
...  (you are making me want all these kinds of food, but they aren't
here).  The first man then brings out all 24 kinds from his saddlebag.

So I'm not sure we are witnessing anything happening with this
structure right now that hasn't been gradually happening for hundreds
of years.
dil