Arabic-L:PEDA:MSA First

Mon Sep 10 18:50:27 UTC 2007

1) Subject:MSA First

Date: 10 Sep 2007
From:Muhammad Aziz" <maaziz50 at hotmail.com>
Subject:MSA First

Dear all,
There is no doubt that MSA should come first. Our contention comes
from experience. I have met so many students who took a dialect first
and wanted anxiously to take MSA,  not to complement what they have
already studied but rather to start over from the beginning and to
take that certain dialect again after grasping the essentials in
MSA.  Students, who study MSA first for at least one to two years,
usually find it relaxing, productive and beneficial.  I also asked
many students who started with MSA for one year and took a certain
dialect of their choice and they all agreed that it was the right
thing to do and were happy of their accomplishments.  Of course,
students can make their own choices but it is also true that they can
ask their predecessors about their experiences and decide
accordingly. I think that everyone in the Arabic academic field is
contributing positively to the field. We may differ in how to
approach certain topics but certainly no one is biased since the goal
of everyone is to make the learner succeed.
Muhammad Aziz