Arabic-L:GEN:"Changing Communities" Call for Contributions

Thu Sep 20 22:27:41 UTC 2007

1) Subject:"Changing Communities" Call for Contributions

Date: 20 Sep 2007
From:Uri Horesh <urih at mail.utexas.edu>
Subject:"Changing Communities" Call for Contributions

Subject: TRANSIT, "Changing Communities": Submission Deadline October 26

CALL FOR PAPERS

TRANSIT (http://german.berkeley.edu/transit/)

The editors of TRANSIT -- an internet-based, multidisciplinary journal
published by the German Department at the University of California,
Berkeley
-- invite submissions for its 2007 issue on the topic "Changing
Communities:
Literature, Media, and the Arts."  Papers for the final round should be
submitted by October 26, 2007.

TRANSIT is a refereed internet journal of German Studies indexed in
the MLA
International Bibliography. TRANSIT seeks to push boundaries both of
traditional scholarship and of print publication. The journal¹s online
format enables authors to integrate multimedia content (images, film
clips,
spoken text, and music) into their work. We welcome critical and
creative
work, in English or German, from all areas in which mobility and
transition
are major forces, from translation to travelogues and other forms of
cultural transfer.

Special Topic 2007: Changing Communities

The Special Topic for this year focuses on communities and aesthetic
expression in a wide variety of media. Mobility and new media challenge
essentialist notions of community; aesthetic works can respond to such
notions and potentially act as agents of change. The domains of
inquiry may
be diverse, ranging from medieval courtly culture to eighteenth-century
reading communities and global internet networks. Submissions for the
Special Topic should address the interaction between changing
communities
and literature, media, and the arts.

Possible topics for the "Changing Communities" issue include:
   -- The role of communities in a globalizing world
   -- Literature, art, film as enacting/challenging communities
   -- Media technology and communal change
   -- Prenational, transnational and postnational communities
   -- The role of the nation-state in communal identities
   -- Rethinking concepts of Gemeinschaft
   -- Theorizing community in German-language contexts (coming
community, the
public sphere, etc.)
   -- Wandering and nomadic communities
   -- Popular culture and sub-cultural identities
   -- Performing communities: theater, music, film
   -- Mass experiences
   -- Spaces of community
   -- Athletic groups and sporting events
   -- Audience as community
   -- Music, literature, and emotional communities

Please submit your article to the editors at
transitjournal at berkeley.edu.

The deadline to be included in the final round of the 2007 issue is
October
26, 2007.

OPEN FORUM:

In addition to the Special Topic, each issue of TRANSIT offers an
Open Forum
for scholarly and creative work on issues of transition and travel in
German
cultural production, from Parzival and Wilhelm Meisters Wanderjahre
to the
road movies of Wim Wenders. We are also interested in multidisciplinary
analysis of non-canonical texts, debates, new media, and material
culture.
We appreciate comparative studies that frame German examples within
larger
theoretical and historical concerns, and we especially encourage
essays that
make creative use of available multimedia technologies.

We consider submissions for the Open Forum at any time. We are also
interested in book reviews related to the Special Topic or the Open
Forum.
If you have questions, please contact us at transitjournal at berkeley.edu.