Arabic-L:PEDA:Gulf Arabic Program

Mon Apr 7 20:10:33 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Gulf Arabic Program

Date: 07 Apr 2008
From: "Maria" <apple at swissmail.org>
Subject:Gulf Arabic Program

Gulf Arabic Programme Full-time MSA&colloquial program and Part Time
Arabic Lessons

The Gulf Arabic Programme offers both a full-time program and private
lessons in colloquial Gulf Arabic and Modern Standard Arabic year
round. Our programme is located in Buraimi, Oman, a twin city to Al
Ain, United Arab Emirates.

The full-time programme is designed to take in students who know
nothing of the Arabic language and equip them to become competent
communicators able to live, work and build relationships within the
medium of the Arabic language. We can also accommodate students who
have previously studied Arabic, either by placing them at the
appropriate level in our existing classes or by tailoring private
classes according to individual needs and requirements please contact
us for more details.

The full course consists of four eighteen-week modules over a period
of two years. Classes are held five days a week, (Sunday to Thursday)
with 3.5 hours of class time each morning, making a course module of
315 hours.

In addition to the class time, students are also expected to spend
time divided between 'community learning' (spending time with local
people) and private study (practising and preparing for classes),
averaging four hours a day. The proportion of community learning will
increase as the course progresses. This is a programme and not merely
an institute and we believe language is best learned through a
combination of classroom activities and language use in the community
and every day life.

A student who has completed the full course will be proficient to the
Advanced Level (ACTFL) in the four language skills, for example he/she
will be able to:

Speaking
·   Discuss topics of current and personal interest.
·   Handle most situations of daily life.
·   Narrate and describe topics of interest for the student in smooth
paragraphs.

·   Handle arrangements regarding study and travel, involving minor
complications, e.g. losing documents, missing an appointment etc.

Listening
·   Understand topics of current and personal interest when talking
face to face.
·   Understand everyday topics, well-known current events, routine
matters etc.
·   Often be able to follow the dialogue when listening to a
conversation between two native speakers.

Reading
·   Read multi-paragraph materials of a factual nature.
·   Read articles from popular newspapers on familiar subjects.

Writing
·   Correspond with Arabic friends.
·   Join sentences in simple discourse of several paragraphs on
familiar topics.
·   Write narratives and descriptions of a factual nature.

Our next intake of students for the full time programme will be on the
14th September 2008.

For further details or application information please email to info at gapschool.net
. Web: www.gapschool.net