Arabic-L:PEDA:CALPER Summer Workshops

Wed Apr 9 14:30:31 UTC 2008

1) Subject:CALPER Summer Workshops

Date: 09 Apr 2008
From:gxa9 at psu.edu
Subject:CALPER Summer Workshops

enter for Advanced Language Proficiency Education and Research
at the Pennsylvania State University

U.S. Dept. of Education
Title VI Language Resource Center
Language Education for the 21st Century

Dear Colleagues,

Spring Break is passed and we are in the second half of our semester
at Penn State. Now we are looking towards June, when we will hold our
yearly workshop series for foreign language educators here on the main
campus.

Over the past few years, many teachers traveled to State College and
we spent an exciting time together learning about topics and issues
very relevant to world language education.

Once again, we are looking forward to meeting new colleagues and re-
connecting with participants from previous years and we hope to see
you at University Park.

Gabriela Appel
Summer Workshops at Penn State
June 20 - Projects in Foreign Language Courses
June 21 - Language Portfolios
June 23-24 - Investigating Real Language
June 23-24 - New Technologies for Language Teaching and Learning
June 25-26 - Challenges in Teaching Heritage and Domestic Language
Learners
June 25-26 - Investigating Language Use in Study Abroad
June 27-28 - Dynamic Assessment in the Foreign Language Classroom

As in the past, ACT 48 credits are available to Pennsylvania teachers!
Consult the entries on our workshop page.

Please visit our professional development web space for a more
detailed overview of this year's workshop series in June.
Campus housing is open and you can make your housing arrangements
directly with the Penn State Housing Office. Alternatively, reserve a
room with one of the local hotels. You will find hotel information on
our site.

Deadline for registration is: June 9, 2008.

CALPER Podcasts

Some time ago, we initiated our series of podcasts, in which we
introduce and discuss current issues of interest to language
educators. A free resource in an alternative medium, we hope that many
of our colleagues find the information useful to their teaching
practice.

In the series, there are two podcasts on topics that relate to this
year's workshops and we invite you to listen in:

CALPER Podcast: "Corpora and their Use in Language Teaching"
An interview with Michael McCarthy, co-director of CALPER's Learner
Corpora project, and author of among other works: Language as
Discourse: Perspectives for Language Teaching (Longman) andFrom Corpus
to Classroom (Cambridge). Professor Michael McCarthy explains some of
the background information about the use of corpora and highlights
some issues in the new area of working with corpora in language
teaching. Working with corpora in language teaching or "Investigating
Real Language" is the focus of the workshop that Professor McCarthy
will conduct here at University Park in this exciting new field that
will surely have an impact on teachers' practices.

CALPER Podcast: "Dynamic Assessment"
A conversation between James Lantolf and Matthew Poehner, co-directors
of CALPER's project on Dynamic Assessment (DA) and authors of the
Teacher's Guide to DA , which we published in 2007. Professors Lantolf
and Poehner will conduct our workshop on "Dynamic Assessment", an
innovative pedagogical approach that has gained significant momentum
amongst teachers who are re-thinking the relationship between
assessment and instruction in foreign language education.

Once you are on the CALPER Podcast Page, you will also find previous
releases focusing on Computer-mediated-communication and newer CMC
Tools such as the

CALPER Podcast: "Blogs in the FL Classroom"
Dana Webber, who teaches Spanish at the State College High School,
collaborated with CALPER and in this recording shares her experiences
with using "Blogs" with her Spanish students.

Teaching Materials:

For Teachers of Korean:
Korean Grammar in Discourse and Interaction
Unit 5: Noun Modifiers
Unit 6: Relative Clause Construction

Professor Susan Strauss, who is the director of our Korean project,
made two more units in her series on "Korean Grammar in Discourse and
Interaction" available to teachers of Korean. Both units are in pdf-
format and can be downloaded from the web page of the Korean project
atcalper.la.psu.edu/korean.php free of charge.

For Teachers of German:
If you are teaching high-intermediate and advanced learners of German,
and would like to explore a new approach to teaching modal particles
you might be interested in "Teaching German Modal Particles: A Corpus-
based Approach" by Nina Vyatkina and Karen E. Johnson. The
instructional sequence in this workbook moves from simple to complex
awareness raising activities. Seven handouts contain explicit
information on modal particles; ten worksheets engage learners in
noticing, defining, analyzing, and using modal particles. Worksheets
and handouts are ready to be copied for classroom use. For more
details click here
Conferences

IUP Spring Methodology Conference on Foreign Language Teaching
Plenary Speaker: Professor Renate Schulz, University of Arizona
Date: April 18, 2008
Location: Holiday Inn, Indiana, PA

Indiana University of Pennsylvania will hold its Spring Methodology
Conference soon. Once again, you can look forward to this yearly event
that brings you exciting new ideas that you can take back to your
classroom, current issues in language education for you to discuss,
opportunities for you to network with other language professionals,
and the latest textbooks and materials for you to peruse. As in the
past, you will receive six hours Pennsylvania Act 48 professional
education credits. We hope to see PA teachers at the conference, where
CALPER will display some of its resources and materials! more
information.
20th Annual Conference of CATJ
Theme: Towards Advanced Japanese Language Proficiency
Plenary Speakers: Professor Steven Thorne, Penn State and Professor
Mari Noda, Ohio State
Date: May 31 - June 1, 2008
Location: University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Co-sponsored by the Dept. of East Asian Languages and Literatures and
the Center for East Asian Studies at UW-Madison, CALPER at Penn State,
and the National East Asian Language Resource Center at the Ohio State
University.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison, Ohio State University and Penn
State paired up with the Central Association of Teachers of Japanese
to bring the annual conference of the organization to Madison this
year. The program of CATJ 20 has now been finalized and a preview is
available at the conference site. Please visit the conference website
for updated information. We hope to see many of our colleagues in
Madison!
We also maintain an up-to-date calendar of conferences and events on
our web site. If you would like to suggest an event to be included in
the calendar, please send information to Vickie Lucas at the CALPER
office.
In the News

National Language Service Corps Recruitment Began.The National
Language Service Corps (NLSC) is a civilian corps of volunteers with
certified expertise in languages important to the security and welfare
of the United States. Run by the Department of Defense, the corps is
to consist of volunteers willing to serve as on-call Federal
employees. The NLSC is an integral component of the Department of
Defense Language Transformation Plan and the President's National
Security Language Initiative. Recruitment will continue over the next
two years. Currently, the languages for which volunteers are sought,
are: Mandarin Chinese, Hausa, Somali, Swahili, Hindi, Indonesian,
Vietnamese, and Russian. National Language Service Corps
Tennessee Senate Bill. Recently, the General Assembly of the State of
Tennessee passed Senate Bill 2980 that urges the State Board of
Education to develop guidelines for fostering fluency in a foreign
language. The guidelines are to be used by Local Education Agencies
for the K-12 levels of instruction. The bill considers fluency in a
foreign language "to be part of a holistic education".
Cervantes TV. Instituto Cervantes initiated the first cultural TV
channel in Spanish that can be viewed around the world through the
Internet. The Instituto Cervantes is a public not-for-profit
institution founded by the Government of Spain in 1991 to promote
Spanish language teaching and knowledge of the cultures of Spanish
speaking countries throughout the world. Visit CervantesTV .
Best regards from CALPER- the LRC in Pennsylvania
Gabriela Appel, Program Coordinator

We greatly welcome you to share this information with your colleagues.
If you wish to unsubscribe to our occasional newsletter, please send
email to Gabriela Appel

Center for Advanced Language Proficiency Education and Research
The Pennsylvania State University 5 Sparks Building
University Park, PA 16802-5203
Phone: 814-863-1212 Fax: 814-865-1316
Email: calper at psu.edu
Web: calper.la.psu.edu