Arabic-L:GEN:Two computer questions

Wed Aug 13 18:56:30 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Two computer questions

Date: 13 Aug 2008
From:"mbooth at illinois.edu" <mbooth at illinois.edu>
Subject:Two computer questions

[please note that there are two separate queries here]

Dear Colleagues:
I am posting this for a friend. Dr. Frances Hasso at Oberlin.
You could reply to me directly, or to the list.
Also, I have a computer question: my son is about to start an
undergraduate Arabic major (hurrah!), and I'm wondering what laptop to
buy him. I'm a PC user; he's interested in Mac but I've heard that
present Arabic capabilities on Mac aren't so great (though I know they
used to be the best). Any advice?

many thanks,
Marilyn Booth (mbooth at illinois.edu)

Dear colleagues -- Is anyone familiar with the font interface between
the latest version of Wordperfect and arabic to english
transliteration letters such as `ayn, hamza, and the letters like d
and h that sometimes
need a period below them)? Jaghbub, which I've installed for my latest
version of MS Word, doesn't seem to be accessible for Wordperfect. (I
looked in the "symbols" tab.) I'm looking for the Times or Times New
Roman font or something close for these particular letters. Is there a
way to make a keyboard do this in WP? The internet has been no help.
Thanks. Frances Hasso