Arabic-L:PEDA:New Arabic SIG at ACTFL

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Dec 12 19:18:48 UTC 2008

1) Subject:New Arabic SIG at ACTFL

Date: 12 Dec 2008
From:hanada at arabexpertise.com
Subject:New Arabic SIG at ACTFL

Salam Dear Friends and Colleagues,

We hope that this finds you well and enjoying the blessings of all the
wondrful Holidays awaiting for us this December.

We are writing to announce to you that due to the efforts of the
American Association of Teachers of Arabic (AATA) and many wonderful
colleagues across the discipline that the American Council on the
Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) has just initiated an Arabic
Special Interest Group.  This means that members "with shared
interests (Arabic language) will be able to network and share
information within the larger structure of ACTFL.
SIGs operate under the aegis of ACTFL and are a vital component of
ACTFL's member service activities.  SIGs operate a listserve, publish
newsletters, and sponsor sessions at the ACTFL.  Members of ACTFL may
join a SIG for an additional $5 per year".

This is really a very important step for all the teachers, experts and
lovers of the Arabic language and culture to get to know and support
each other and work together.

To be a member of the sig, one has to be an ACTFL member first, so
please start renewing your memberships and adding the Arabic SIG fee
to your membership.  We need to maintain a good number in the group
for it to sustain itself.  Can we hope to see a 100 members in it by
next ACTFL conference in November 2009?  Inshallah!

Also, please start submitting proposals to speak at ACTFL next year
(will be in sunny San Diego).  The deadline for submitting proposals
is January 09, 2009.  We need to have as many Arabic language
presentations as possible.  This will be good for you, for ACTFL, for
the Arabic SIG and for the Arabic language teaching profession.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to email the chair Dr.
Salah Ayari at : ayari-s at tamu.edu or the vice chair Dr. Shereen
Tabrizi at: tabrizs at dearborn.k12.mi.us or the secretary Dr. Hanada
Taha-Thomure at: hanada at arabexpertise.com

We look forward to hearing from you and serving the Arabic language
teaching profession in the United States.

Please feel free to send this to anyone who might be interested.

Warm regards & Happy Holidays,

Hanada Taha-Thomure, PhD
Director of Arabic Programs, Language Acquisition Resource Center,
SDSU http://larcnet.sdsu.edu
Director, ArabExpertise www.arabexpertise.com
Lecturer, Department of Linguistics & Oriental Languages, SDSU