Arabic-L:LING:Wants work on yaani

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Dec 19 23:15:09 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Wants work on yaani

Date: 19 Dec 2008
From:Rex Hamaker <rexgh4 at gmail.com>
Subject:Wants work on yaani

Greeting group!

I am an American trained as a linguist working as an English teacher
in Saudi Arabia.  While I enjoy teaching, linguistics is my first
love, and I've become interested on doing some work on 'yaani' as a
discourse marker.

Try as I might, I haven't found any literature devoted to the topic,
though I have found some dissertations about Saudi/ English bilinguals
that only go as far as to acknowledge that the word crops up in
bilingual discourse.

Does anybody know of any work done on 'yaani' specifically or Arabic
discourse markers in general?  I can work with articles in English,
French, and German.

Many thanks!

Rex Hamaker