Arabic-L:LING:Needs check on Salem Ghazeli's '77 thesis

Mon Feb 11 21:10:23 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Needs check on Salem Ghazeli's '77 thesis

Date: 11 Feb 2008
From:Alex Bellem <alex at bellem-hussein.demon.co.uk>
Subject:Needs check on Salem Ghazeli's '77 thesis

Greetings all,

I wonder if anyone would be able to help with checking a small detail
from Salem Ghazeli's 1977 thesis (Back Consonants and Backing
Coarticulation in Arabic).

It doesn't seem to be available in London, except on microfiche copy via
the British Library loans system. I did get hold of it a couple of years
ago and made copious notes, but there is a small detail I need to check.

On p.102, Ghazeli refutes Cohen's (1969) argument that the words soT
'whip' and SoT 'sound' are contrastive (capitals = emphatic). However,
in my notes from Ghazeli I have notated the vowels in the
transliteration of these words as 'o' without a macron (as if they were
short vowels). The phonetic transcription (for Egyptian) is also given
as [SoT] (not [So:T]), according to my notes.

I'd be very grateful if anyone has a copy to hand and would be able to
check if Ghazeli does indeed give these as short vowels (without macrons
/ length marks) - I may have omitted them in my notes, although
everywhere else I have noted the transcriptions very carefully.

Many thanks in advance,
Alex Bellem

--
Alex Bellem