Arabic-L:GEN:Summer Grad courses in US

Mon Feb 11 21:10:37 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Summer Grad courses in US
2) Subject:Summer Grad courses in US
3) Subject:Summer Grad courses in US

Date: 11 Feb 2008
From: "Alexander J. Stein" <alharaka at gmail.com>
Subject:Summer Grad courses in US

Sana,

I suggest Georgetown University. Unfortunately, I do not know what
courses our taught during the summer. We have many courses here that
are taught only in Arabic at the upper level during the regular
academic year, most dealing with literature. I am a (technically) a
grad student, and these courses are sufficiently difficult for me. As
a native speaker, I am not sure how difficult they would be. For one
class I take now, I am expected to read one book/short story (I mean
at least ~80-100 pages) and write a response (~2 pages double spaced,
more if I feel adventurous). For another class the readings were much,
much shorter, but exams required vowelling every single vowel and a
decent translation of more than a dozen sentences. That should help
you gauge.

In any event, send me a reply and I will forward this to some people
in the department. I would refer to the Summer Arabic Language School
here, but that will most obviously be beneath you.

Regards,
_AJS