Arabic-L:LING:MEMRI

Mon Feb 18 21:16:53 UTC 2008

1) Subject:MEMRI
2) Subject:MEMRI

Date: 18 Feb 2008
From:Chris H <kaix04holmanski77 at hotmail.com>
Subject:MEMRI

Hello everyone.

Forgive me for my thoughts on the matter, but it seems to me that any
source we use is going to have an inherent bias or other issue.  Given
the way that Arabic-speaking regions are often covered by all forms of
media, I find it hard to think of a source that offers up material in
a way that is devoid of bias, agenda, or even plain old ignorance.  I
may be wrong, but I doubt that those who decry the use of MEMRI would
offer the same level of critique for other sources that they use.
That is, while pointing out MEMRI's bias and intent with its work is
something I agree with, I have yet to see anyone personally or hear
anyone comment about how they vet all other sources that they use for
their students and then pass on that information to the students prior
to using any source.

Surely, many of us exercise neutrality in picking out source material
and our texts tend to find generic material that is apolitical.
However, I think that by not using MEMRI or other sources that have
similar (valid) criticisms, we are not giving our students an
introduction to the reality of the media scene in Arabic-speaking
regions and around the globe.  We are not teaching classes on the
ethics of journalism, but to think that our students will not one day
run across MEMRI, et al. on their own is naive.  It's also a
disservice to our students that we do not provide them with exposure
to these and all other sources that we can find so that they are
exposed to situations with the language in the media that are not
uncommon.  I guess my point is that while many of us have visceral
feelings about one source or another, using them to help our students
use Arabic and to think critically while doing so is only something
that can benefit them as they venture beyond our mostly apolitical
texts and the typically sterile classroom environment.  It also equips
them to be active participants in important conversations on matters
such as MEMRI's biases.  After all, will some of them not be posting
on here about the same topic some day in the near future?

If you cannot tell, I use MEMRI in my classes from time to time.  I do
point out that I am not using it as a source because I support what is
being said, and I ensure that my students know that MEMRI (as well as
other sources) write from a point of view.  I feel that with few
exceptions, most of my students are mature enough to think for
themselves and to take the MEMRI videos I have used as source material
that is definitely biased but also a good source for training in
second-language acquisition.  So far, none have changed their
ideological stances one way or another based upon one source or
another that I have used in class.  They are, however, more informed
students of Arabic.

One last caveat on this matter, is that I do not use MEMRI until the
2nd year and even then it is not my regular source.  I use Al-Jazeera,
a variety of Arabic newspapers, BBC Online, CNN Arabic, my own
writings, the opinions of my students and whatever else I can get a
hand on that I think will expand my students experience through a
critical use of the language.

Cheers!

Chris Holman
Arabic Instructor