Arabic-L:LING:Vowel length in Palestinian response

Wed Feb 27 23:49:05 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Vowel length in Palestinian response

Date: 27 Feb 2008
From:Uri Horesh <urih at mail.utexas.edu>
Subject:Vowel length in Palestinian response

One of the facts I learned quite some time ago about neighboring
dialects is
that while they can be easily classified jointly in dialect clusters,
they
often have significant differences in various aspects of their grammar,
often too subtle for the non-linguist ear to detect.

One such difference is between urban Palestinian (e.g., Jerusalem) and
urban
Syrian (e.g., Damascus) Arabic. The retention of long vowels in
unstressed
syllables is almost categorical in Damascene Arabic and their
shortening is
near-categorical in most Palestinian dialects. A short, but compelling
reference for this difference is the following:

Raz, Shlomo. 1996. Prominence and Vowel Duration in Some Spoken Arabic
Dialects. Israel Oriental Studies 16: 193-199.

I recently began looking into a number of features that Syrian Arabic
shares
with Iraqi dialects, but not with other Levantine dialects. Unstressed
long
vowel retention appears to be one of them. My very preliminary data at
the
moment indicates that not only Palestinian, but also Lebanese Arabic
shortens such vowels, including within the stem, e.g.:

(1)  mif'taaH 'key'
(2)  mafaa'tiiH 'keys' (Syrian; Iraqi)
(2') mafa'tiiH 'keys' (Palestinian; Lebanese)

As for high (or rather, non-low) vowels, the two examples that comes
to mind
from Jerusalem Arabic are:

(3) zeet 'oil'
(4) zi'tuun ~ za'tuun 'olives'

(5) 3een 'eye'
(6) 3i'neen 'eyes'

Examples (3) through (6) are from the following source:

Levin, Aryeh. 1994. A Grammar of the Arabic Dialect of Jerusalem.
Jerusalem:
The Magnes Press. [in Hebrew].

I admit, though, that I'd have to think more about this particular
point.

At any rate, I am doubtful that sound plurals and other stem-internal
patterns trigger anything else in terms of unstressed vowel shortening
than
do combinations of stems and suffixes. But if there is data to the
contrary,
I'd be quite interested.

BTW -- I tend to think that the 3aalameen example cited by Kenstowicz
from
Abi-Salim retains the long /aa/ because it is stressed. While the suffix
-een is clearly stressed, the stem vowel in the syllable /3aa/ is not
unstressed. It bears in the least secondary stress.

Uri

--
Uri Horesh
Lecturer of Arabic