Arabic-L:LING:Number system prediction reaction

Wed Feb 27 23:49:00 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Number system prediction reaction

Date: 27 Feb 2008
From:"Ola Moshref" <omoshref at gmail.com>
Subject:Number system prediction reaction

barakaat-ak Shaikh Schub!

I'm interested to learn about any of the Arabic grammatical rules that
has
ever died out over the long history, because my knowledge is
certainly limited. The near null proper use of case marking, numeral
+counted
noun, feminine plural nuun niswa, dual inflections, etc should support
your
prophecy. If, over their long history, Arabs never spoke as they wrote
and
literary heritage is no evidence of the layman's language proficiency,
then I wonder why it had to take 15 centuries for one "grammatical
'system'
to be officially recognized as 'extinct'"!

I like your phrase "its days are numbered" because it contrasts nicely
with
the numberless days through which this 'lisaan 3arabiyy' has survived
every
attempt of change.

Regards,

Ola Moshref