Arabic-L:LING:Arabic for Special Purposes translation

Wed Jan 9 17:42:43 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Arabic for Special Purposes translation

Date: 09 Jan 2008
From:paula santillan <capraia at yahoo.com>
Subject:Arabic for Special Purposes translation

Dear friends,

Lately, I have had to translate the course title of an
Arabic for Specific Purposes (ASP) course into Arabic.
However, my colleagues and I didn’t reach an agreement
on how the Arabic term for ASP should be translated. I
then did a quick search on google using the three
variations that my colleagues and I had come up with
(using the term "'language' for specific purposes"
instead of the more restricted 'Arabic'). Results are
shown below:

Luga li-agraad muHaddada ----- 112,000 tokens
Luga li-agraad khassa --------- 53,400
Luga li-agraad mu3ayyana ----- 141,000
-----
Luga li-ahdaaf muHaddada ----- 49,500
Luga li-ahdaaf khaassa ------- 22,700
Luga li-ahdaaf mu3ayyana ----- 58,000

As it is the case with many other (scientific,
academic, formal) terms, nowadays several Arabic
versions of ‘ASP’ seem to be being used quite broadly
around the Arab world. I thought that perhaps some of
you would like to provide us with your opinion about
this term in particular.

Thanks a lot before hand!

-paula