Arabic-L:PEDA:Limiting jobs to native speakers

Tue Jan 22 23:20:56 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Limiting jobs to native speakers
2) Subject:Limiting jobs to native speakers
3) Subject:Limiting jobs to native speakers
4) Subject:Limiting jobs to native speakers

Date: 22 Jan 2008
From:Mustafa Mughazy <mustafa.mughazy at wmich.edu>
Subject:Limiting jobs to native speakers

Descrimination against highly qualified non-native speaking language
teachers is a problem that goes far beyond Arabic. Many TESOL graduate
programs do not let their own non-native graduate students teach ESL.
When it comes to Arabic, I take pride in the fact that many of leaders
in our field are non-native speakers like Kristin Brustad, Karin
Ryding, Elizabeth Bergman, Dilworth Parkinson, and many many others.

Mustafa Mughazy