Arabic-L:LING:Being a native speaker of formally correct Arabic

Thu Jan 31 17:03:14 UTC 2008

Arabic-L: Thu 31 Jan 2008

1) Subject:Being a native speaker of formally correct Arabic

Date: 31 Jan 2008
From:"Dr. M Deeb" <muhammaddeeb at gmail.com>
Subject:Being a native speaker of formally correct Arabic

'm afraid my short rejoinder is hastily misconstrued.  The Arabic I've
been
using since my mid-teens has been properly structured, grammatically
correct
Arabic.

I've also been for years exposed to such dialects as Bahraini,
Lebanese and
Egyptian, but I fail to express myself properly in either.

Now, whether the Arabic I speak is qualified as MSA, is quite
irrelevant,
for the term is at once elastic and often violates the norms of
structure,
grammar and morphology.

I admit it has not been socially easy.  My lot was and still is much
worse
than that of one of my late English professors who was met with muffled
ridicule when he used classical Arabic at the Cairo airport.

An Arab and Native Speaker of Arabic