Arabic-L:PEDA:Limiting jobs to native speakers

Thu Jan 31 17:03:08 UTC 2008

Arabic-L: Thu 31 Jan 2008

1) Subject:Limiting jobs to native speakers
2) Subject:Limiting jobs to native speakers: Other side of the coin

Date: 31 Jan 2008
From:"Shoaib Memon" <majnoonx at gmail.com>
Subject:Limiting jobs to native speakers

Hi,
Related to this current discussion, I would like to know if University
Departments hiring people to teach Arabic courses give any weight to
proficiency exams(assuming the candidate meets other reqs such as Ph.d
in relevant matter etc).  If so, which proficiency tests are
considered "good."  I'm thinking of taking the ACTFL test for Arabic
and would like to know if it will help me out in the distant future if
I'm applying for such posts.  Any thoughts on this matter, plus arabic
proficiency tests will be appreciated.

Long time Arabic student- first-time caller,
Shoaib