Arabic-L:PEDA:Cultural/pragmatic competence and Arabic diglossia in Study Abroad Programs

Mon Jul 7 21:48:34 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Cultural/pragmatic competence and Arabic diglossia in Study
Abroad Programs

Date: 07 Jul 2008
From:"Jeremy Palmer" <jeremy.palmer at gmail.com>
Subject:Cultural/pragmatic competence and Arabic diglossia in Study
Abroad Programs

[moderator's note: please contact Jeremy at the above e-mail address
if you or your students are willing to participate in his research on
study abroad programs.]

Hello teachers and learners of Arabic,

My name is Jeremy Palmer. I am a Ph.D. student in Second Language
Acquisition and Teaching (SLAT) at the University of Arizona. I am
currently conducting my dissertation research with a few programs
abroad this summer (including CASA - Shukran ya Mahmoud!).
Unfortunately, I do not have enough research volunteers to complete my
research this summer. Thus, I must continue into the autumn.

I am writing to ask for information regarding programs sending
students abroad to learn Arabic this autumn. I would be most grateful
for assistance in expanding my research pool. All my research is done
online and doesn't take much time to complete.

Moreover, all research volunteers will receive a free bilingual copy
of a work by Al-Ghazali and/or hopefully some other type of incentive
(if I can come up with something - free online tutoring from
myself...?).

I am including part of my recruitment letter below.

Thank you for your help, Jeremy Palmer

Hello Students of Arabic,

Thank you for considering volunteering for my research. I am a PhD
student in Second Language Acquisition and Teaching (SLAT) at the
University of Arizona.

My research investigates cultural integration and language proficiency
in a summer study abroad context. I am particularly interested in your
experiences learning and using Arabic in your host country. Here are
some of the issues I am investigating:

	• How well do you feel you "fit in" with the host culture?
	• How much difficulty do you find in different situations (like
dealing with people staring at you or understanding jokes and humor)?
	• How are you received when you speak Arabic?
	• What materials are you using to learn Arabic?
	• In which cultural activities do you participate?
	• What recommendations for future programs would you make?

If you volunteer for this research, you will be asked to do the
following (everything is online):

	• Complete a demographic questionnaire at the beginning of your
program (10 minutes).
	• Complete a short weekly language contact survey every week. (2-10
minutes each week).
	• Complete a final survey at the end of the program or shortly after
your program ends (50 minutes).
	• Complete a Speech Acts Assessment Test at the end of your program.
You will hear several audio clips in the spoken Arabic of your host
country after which you answer a few comprehension questions (10-40
minutes).

--
Jeremy Palmer
Second Language Acquisition and Teaching (SLAT)