Arabic-L:GEN:Washington Post article response; more blogging on issue

Fri Jul 18 16:59:35 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Washington Post article response
1) Subject:more blogging on state of US Arabic teaching

Date: 18 Jul 2008
From:Samia Montasser <montasser at un.org>
Subject:Washington Post article response

Dear all, dear Dora,
Thanks for sharing this response with us.
When I first read the article, I laughed and sent it directly to Mahmoud
only, that was before seeing it on Arabic-L.
What came into my mind directly is the Egyptian saying "mal'uush filward
3eeb, 'aaluu ya7mar elxadden". Literal translation,
"They found no defect in roses, they said "Oh! you red cheek".
It was very obvious from the article written, that it has a certain aim,
without touching the linguistic content at all. However,
the writer, unintentionally, pointed out the success of the book by
mentioning where it is used, academia and government and
I use it here as well in the UN, (isn't Maha's father that Mr. Pollack
referred too work at the UN?).
Ms. Gharavi, being in the same position as Mr Pollack, gave the best
response to the specific points Mr Pollack used to criticize the
book.
Salaam to all,
Samia

Samia S. Montasser