Arabic-L:LING:meaning of marbiT-u l-faras

Fri Jul 18 16:59:49 UTC 2008

1) Subject:meaning of marbiT-u l-faras
2) Subject:meaning of marbiT-u l-faras
3) Subject:meaning of marbiT-u l-faras

Date: 18 Jul 2008
From:Sana N Hilmi <shilmi at gmu.edu>
Subject:meaning of marbiT-u l-faras

I am not sure,
But, Marbat is where the tie is. If the mare is tied up on the tree,
the tree is (marbat).
If I'm looking for your horse, and I don't know how it looks like, you
need to tell me where it is tied on. Say it is a tree, it would be
easier for me to detect the tree rather than to look for the horse,
the rope and the tie randomly.
Basically that is like a landmark. You'll get the mare when you know
the point/place where you leave it.
I think an example would be, there are less Americans using cars these
days, less buying cars, and they're more conservatives. All that leads
to one point, Marbat al-faras, the gasoline is very expensive ;)

I like to hear others,

Miss Sana Hilmi, M.A.
Arabic Professor and Coordinator
Modern and Classical Languages