Arabic-L:PEDA:Arabic Grammar teaching texts

Tue Jul 29 22:09:41 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Arabic Grammar teaching texts

Date: 29 Jul 2008
From:Alexander Magidow <amagidow at gmail.com>
Subject:Arabic Grammar teaching texts

As long as we're suggesting reference works as well, one of my
favorite is the little known Modern Literary Arabic - A Reference
Grammar by Ron Buckley, published by Librairie du Liban (2004). An
extremely comprehensive work, with plentiful fully vowelled and
translated examples. It'll be a lot easier for students to use than
Wright, though a bit more difficult to find online (a quick search
shows several places which sell it in the US). It does tend to follow
a more western model of grammar, so it does not map 100% between the
Arabic terminology and concepts and the Western use of them (i.e. it
considers all sentences containing verbs in any position to be jumul
fi3liyya)

Alex