Arabic-L:LING:mozza responses

Mon Jun 30 17:18:54 UTC 2008

1) Subject:mozza response
2) Subject:mozza response
3) Subject:mozza response
4) Subject:mozza response

Date: 30 Jun 2008
From:Mustafa Mughazy <mustafa.mughazy at wmich.edu>
Subject:mozza response

  hope this will not offend anybody

mozza is a case of true word coinage. It has nothing to do with mooza
(banana/a meat cut) or yimazmiz (to nibble).

Just like there are many “inappropriate” words in English that refer
to women (e.g., broad, chick, and doll), Egyptian Arabic has its share
of these words (e.g., mara, farda, waZwooZa, oTTa, mihallabiyya,
balooZa, and mozza). Typically, these are lexical extensions of words
for animals and food items. It is important to note here that there
are similar terms for men, and they are equally offensive, e.g., faHl,
helf, and ge3err. There is nothing unique about the existence of such
lexical items. Those who are interested in a complete list can check
out qaamoos riwish TaHan. The stigma associated with mozza has nothing
to do with being a borrowing from a stigmatized dialect, as is the
case with niswaan and mara), and it is no longer a teenage slang word.

I was fortunate enough to witness the development of mozza, since it
came about when I was in high school (perfect sociolinguistic
environment for slang). Naturally, every generation of adolescent boys
has to come up with their vocabularies that separate them from other
age and gender groups. In my days, the new lexicon included mozza
(girl friend), nafkh biDaan (lit. inflating the testicles, i.e., to be
boring), and raafi9 el-iryal (lit. raising the antenna, i.e., to be a
pimp). Of course, these were considered inappropriate, and only
adolescent males at the time understood what they really meant.

Here is the sociolinguistically interesting part. These words, unlike
their predecessors in former generations, quickly changed their
meaning/form and became part of the lexicon of teenage girls as well.
The new meanings are: mozza (a broad/chick), nafkh (uncool) with the
rest of the expression deleted, and raafi9 el-iryal (turning a blind
eye to corruption). A few years later, adults started using these
words, and now they are commonly used in the media, of course with new
meanings. I think the rapid spread of these linguistic innovations
across sociolinguistic divides can be attributed to the fact that
these words were not associated with a particular social classes or
communities. Describing a woman as a mozza has no connotations of her
social background, whereas mara suggests a low class background.

What is even more interesting is that there is a new masculine form,
e.g., waad mozz, which refers to a “pretty boy” with no connotations
about sexual orientation.

Hope that helps

ps. I never used mozza in my life

Mustafa Mughazy