Arabic-L:LING:Lexicographer sought

Fri Mar 14 17:16:45 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Lexicographer sought

Date: 14 Mar 2008
From:Andrew Petusky <petusky at gmail.com>
Subject:Lexicographer sought

I am putting together a grant proposal, under the Dept. of Education's
International Research and Studies program, to develop a digitized,
bidirectional dictionary of Egyptian Arabic and English.  I seek a
lexicographer to assist me on the project.

The proposed project will begin with digitization of Bedawi & Hinds "A
Dictionary of Egyptian Arabic," a 900+ page dictionary of the Egyptian
Arabic of Cairo (one way, Arabic-English).  The digitization involves
significant computer programming and data entry, which will be done by
other team members.

The method of digitization used will facilitate creating `reverse
entries,' by which I mean entries created from the English-term
definitions in the source dictionary, with the corresponding Arabic-
term entries from the source dictionary now serving as definitions.
I recognize that this raw database of English terms is far from a
finished English-Egyptian Arabic dictionary.  I need help from a
lexicographer, who can help me organize headwords and other related
tasks on the English-Arabic side.

My need to find someone is time sensitive, as the grant proposal is
due in early April.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Andy Petusky