Arabic-L:K-16:HS Student Summer Immersion Program in Amherst

Thu Mar 20 20:19:58 UTC 2008

1) Subject:HS Student Summer Immersion Program in Amherst

Date: 20 Mar 2008
From:kkidd at jhu.edu
Subject:HS Student Summer Immersion Program in Amherst

The Center for Talented Youth at Johns Hopkins and the Middlebury-
Monterey Language Academy (MMLA) are offering a program for students
who have completed grades 6-9 to study Arabic in an immersion setting
for six weeks at Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts.  We are
also teaching Chinese, French and Spanish at that site.  MMLA has a
similar program for high school age students in Atherton, California.

Unfortunately, enrollment for Arabic has been very slow at both
sites.  We are trying to identify additional students who might be
interested in the program.  Dr. Ferhadi suggested that you might be
able to assist us in identifying interested students and potentially
staff.

If you would be willing to talk with me about how to identify and
contact students who might be interested in either program, I would
appreciate speaking with you as soon as possible.  We must make a
decision about whether to cancel the program at Hampshire by late
March.  To learn more about the two sites, you can visit the CTY web
site atwww.cty.jhu.edu/summer/immersion  or the MMLA site at www.mmla.middlebury.edu
I hope to hear from you.

With best regards,

Katherine Kidd

Katherine M. Kidd, Ph.D.
Senior Program Manager
Johns Hopkins University-Center for Talented Youth (CTY)
McAuley Hall
5801 Smith Ave, Ste 400
Baltimore, MD 21209

410-735-6255