Arabic-L:LING:Dropping of tanwiin responses

Fri May 23 23:06:38 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Dropping of tanwiin response
2) Subject:Dropping of tanwiin response
3) Subject:Dropping of tanwiin response

Date: 23 May 2008
From:Michael Fishbein <fishbein at humnet.ucla.edu>
Subject:Dropping of tanwiin response

Regarding George Maschke's question about the pronunciation of tanwin-
fathah as long a in pause in oratory: According to Wright's Grammar,
this pronunciation is the recommended one for poetry and in reciting
the Koran (at the end of an ayah or in pause). As far as I can tell,
It is rarely used in reading prose, except by readers who have had a
traditional Islamic education, including a thorough grounding in the
rules of tajwid; which, I suppose, Bin Laden had. Perhaps it is
avoided by most readers because of the difficulty of distinguishing an
unaccented long a from the short a that is the pausal form of the ta'
marbutah for most speakers, since the older pausal form of -ah is
rarely used. The pausal form in long a may lie behind such colloquial
forms as marHaba(a) and Haqqa(a), for marHaban and Haqqan.

The relevant paragraphs in Wright's Grammar are Volume II, paragraph
225 (page 369B) and paragraph 227 (page 370C).

Michael Fishbein, Lecturer in Arabic
Dept. of Near Eastern Languages & Cultures
366 Humanities Building, UCLA
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1511
tel. 310 206-2229