Arabic-L:LING:CJK Database of Arabic Names update

Mon Nov 3 23:52:49 UTC 2008

1) Subject:CJK Database of Arabic Names update

Date: 03 Nov 2008
From:akurt at CJKI.ORG
Subject:CJK Database of Arabic Names update

Hi all,

This is Kurt Easterwood from The CJK Dictionary
Institute (CJKI, http://www.cjk.org), which as you
might know specializes in the compilation of large-
scale CJK, and Arabic lexical resources, including
proper nouns and variants.

I wanted to give you an update on our Database of
Arab Names (or DAN), a resource now consisting of over
1.6 million romanized Arab personal names and name
variants drawn from about 20 million names, a resource
that I think will be of interest to members of this
list.

Because of the important role names play in such
applications as named entity extraction, morphological
analysis, and machine translation, we are continuously
expanding and revising this database to provides
systematic coverage of Arabic orthographic variants
and common orthographic errors.

The database has been compiled with the help of a
team of native speaker editors and Arabists specially
trained for this project, and is drawn from a large
variety of sources.

Recently we have added support for French-specific
variations, eg. Youcif for Yousif, or Choukri for
Shoukri. This is part of a larger project to support
romanization systems of other major languages.

More information about DAN, along with data samples,
can be found at:
http://www.cjk.org/cjk/arabic/dan.htm

If you have any questions or comments about DAN,
please don't hesitate to contact me or our director
Jack Halpern.

Regards, Kurt Easterwood
	The CJK Dictionary Institute, Inc.
         http://www.cjk.org