Arabic-L:PEDA:Needs Yemeni Arabic materials

Wed Sep 10 17:31:40 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Needs Yemeni Arabic materials

Date: 10 Sep 2008
From:Afra Al-Mussawir <afraalmussawir at yahoo.com>
Subject:Needs Yemeni Arabic materials

Hi all,
I have a student who is specifically interested in Yemeni Arabic
(urban, upper/middle class, educated dialect) -- does anyone here know
of good, free online resources I could tell her about? She is a
beginner, and I am teaching her MSA softened a bit so she doesn't
sound like a TV news announcer, but I have no knowledge of
characteristics of Yemeni dialects (phonological, lexical,
grammatical, etc). Is qaf generally pronounced or has it converted to
the equivalent of a hamza or a "g" sound? Should she say "kayf
haaluka?" or "kayf haalek?" or "keefek?" or "shlonek?" or "zayyek?"
or ... It's less important that she speak using the dialect than that
she be able to understand others when they do.

Any help you can offer is much appreciated.
Afra Al-Mussawir