Arabic-L:GEN:Needs help with Turkish names

Mon Sep 22 21:02:07 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Needs help with Turkish names

Date: 22 Sep 2008
From:Mai Zaki <maizaki at gmail.com>
Subject:Needs help with Turkish names

Dear colleagues,

I am currently doing an English-Arabic translation where there are
many terms in Turkish including proper names. As I don't know Turkish
at all, I would be grateful if someone can help me with the correct
pronunciation/translation of these terms.
Thank you so much in advance.

Proper names of folk literary figures:
Âşık Mahzunî, Âşık Veysel, Dadaloğlu, Derûn Abdal, Erzurumlu
Emrah, Gevheri, Karacaoğlan, Köroğlu, Pir Sultan Abdal and Yunus Emre

Names of literary works:
Divanü Lügat-it Türk, Kutadgu Bilig, Orhun Abideleri, and Seyahatname

Terms:
âşık literature
mani
post-Tanzimat Turkish literature