Arabic-L:PEDA:Conn. College Job

Thu Sep 25 22:35:04 UTC 2008

1) Subject:Conn. College Job

Date: 25 Sep 2008
From: <yhamed at wesleyan.edu>
Subject:Conn. College Job

Dear Colleagues,
Connecticut College is seeking to hire an assistant professor (or an
ABD)
for a three-year visiting FTE position teaching Arabic, starting in the
Fall 2009 semester.
Please, see the job description below
Best regards--

CONNECTICUT COLLEGE invites applications for a full-time, three-year
(with
possibility of renewal) visiting assistant professor position in Arabic
beginning Fall 2009. Required: native or near native fluency in both
Arabic and English, and experience teaching Modern Standard Arabic at
the
undergraduate level. Desirable: PhD in Arabic language, cultural
studies,
literature, linguistics, language pedagogy, or a related field.

Responsibilities include teaching intensive elementary and intermediate
language courses and service related to the development of an Arabic
language curriculum. The candidate will also work collaboratively with
current faculty and new hires from two relevant searches (in Government
and History) to assess the possibilities of establishing a Middle
Eastern
and/or Islamic Studies program at the College.

Applicants should submit the following: a letter of application, a
C.V., a
statement of teaching philosophy, teaching evaluations, a writing
sample,
graduate transcripts, and three letters of recommendation (all in
English).  Send these materials to Professor William Rose, Department of
Government, Box 5468, Connecticut College, 270 Mohegan Ave., New London,
CT  06320-4196. E-mail inquiries can be sent to william.rose at conncoll.edu
.
Review of applications will begin November 1, 2008 and will continue
until
the position is filled.

Connecticut College educates students to put the liberal arts into
action
as citizens in a global society.  A private, highly selective
institution
in New London, Connecticut, mid-way between New York and Boston, the
College is notable for its strong academic programs, friendly campus,
and
emphasis on broad interdisciplinary teaching and research.  With a
student/faculty ratio of 10/1, students learn from their professors in
classrooms, studios, labs, and across the residential campus and the
entire globe.  The intimate size of our community (approximately 1900
students from 45 states and 70 countries) fosters collaboration among
faculty, staff and students.

The Colleges Board of Trustees, President, administration, faculty and
staff share a commitment to diversity.  We foster the values of equity,
inclusion, and respect for all human differences, for these are
essential
to the fulfillment of our mission.  Structural evidence of this
commitment
can be seen in our Center for Comparative Study of Race and Ethnicity,
the
positions of senior diversity officer and dean of multicultural affairs
created several years ago, our Unity House Multicultural Center, and the
diversity programming sponsored by many departments across the campus.
The
College is also an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please
visit our website, http://www.conncoll.edu, for more information about
the
College and our faculty searches.