Arabic-L:PEDA:Hedayat Institute Summer Enrollment newsletter

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Apr 10 16:57:41 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Hedayat Institute Summer Enrollment newsletter

Date: 10 Apr 2009
From:info at hedayetinstitute.com
Subject:Hedayat Institute Summer Enrollment newsletter

Register for Summer before April 30th!

  Join Term I or II, or combine the two for a leap in your Arabic
proficiency

	• Summer Programs Duration:  7 weeks Term I starting June 17th; or
Term II August 2nd ending mid September 09;  or 14 weeks combining two
terms.  Each term includes 20 hrs/week of MSA and Egyptian Colloquial
Arabic weekly trips, seminars, cultural activities, gatherings with
Egyptian youth and parties.
	• Cost of One Term :  2500 USD covering language instruction,
cultural activities with transportation to sites and a guide,
placement test, orientation, welcome package, airport pick up, free
wireless internet, assistance in search for suitable housing (shared
furnished apartments by 2 or 3 students are for approximately 350 USD
per month)
Hedayet Institute opens a new door with a new campus
Hedayet Institute just found a newer, bigger home right in its own
neighborhood	  “We are very excited to have a new place for us to grow
and meet the high demand on HIAS programs,” said Dr. Hedayet, the
founder and director of the institute.
          The new location is a three-minute walk from the underground
station, making it easy for students to reach downtown while still
living in the heart of Maadi. The new building is in a very secure
location with a trusted hospital nearby. It also has a rooftop garden
which will be used for HIAS events. The new campus will have three
times the number of classes and more space for extra-curricular
activities and relaxing.
        "We wanted to increase space for our students without
compromising our philosophy of providing small, high-quality classes
for our students” said Dr. Nagwa Hedayet.
Stay tuned for our opening celebration!

Hedayet speaks at AUC
Speaking of languages. . .
Teachers and researchers from throughout Asia, the Middle East,
Europe, and the U.S. discussed the practicalities of pedagogy at the
“Challenges in Teaching Language and Rhetoric” conference this month.
The conference, held from March 23-25 at the American University in
Cairo’s new campus, brought together linguists of the Arabic and
English languages.
Dr. Nagwa Hedayet was a featured speaker at the conference with the
topic of “Arabic Across the Disciplines in Higher Education.” During
her speech she shared her experience teaching Arabic using this method
in the United Arab Emirates.
The other lecturers  presented a variety of interesting topics ranging
from the Ancient Egyptian words still used in Egyptian Arabic to using
web 2.0 to teach Arabic. Gayle Nelson, who has coordinated USAID
funded projects to train English teachers in Egypt, gave the keynote
speech “Controversies in second-language writing.”

Monthly Medal: Highlighting HIAS Students
This month’s medal goes to Joshua Georgy, a PhD student at Columbia
University.  Joshua, originally from Pennslyvania, is researching the
Coptic Church during the 18th and 19th centuries, with the goal of
widening the view of Egyptian and Coptic histories.
"The modern period divides all ideas that are forward-thinking as part
of an artificial thing called the West,” he said.
At HIAS, Joshua studies Medieval Arabic in order to better understand
manuscripts from the Coptic Patriarchal Archives and the Egyptian
National Archives.
He originally came to Hedayet Institute on a FLAS scholarship last
academic year (07-08). At this time he concentrated on the Arabic
language and learned very quickly. He started with a basic grasp on
conversation and little writing experience. Today, he writes even his
doctorate ideas in Arabic. Joshua, whose father is from Egypt, wants
to tell the histories that are usually ignored.

	• Students can transfer their HIAS credits to their home university
program.  A number of universities and programs transfer HIAS program
credits.
	• For registration please fill in an application online at: www.hedayetinstitute.com
  or send us at info at hedayetinstitute.com
				WWW.HEDAYETINSTITUTE.COM  INFO at HEDAYETINSTITUTE.COM   TEL/FAX:
+(202)25272190  US Tel: + 1(646)2168308