Arabic-L:PEDA:Tunisia Learn & Serve Program

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Mon Apr 13 19:56:42 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Tunisia Learn & Serve Program

Date: 13 Apr 2009
From:James Miller [miller3 at clemson.edu]
Subject:Tunisia Learn & Serve Program

[moderator's note: I have omitted the flyer, but you can access it
from the website listed]

I am asking for your help in getting the word out about Tunisia Learn
& Serve this summer.  There must be a few BYU listservs this could go
up on and certainly some students you know who'd be interested.

The enclosed flyer says the cost of the 6-week program is $2650.  Due
to a large US Embassy-Tunis grant, we have been able to further reduce
the cost to the participant to $1700 plus airfare, which is also at
historic lows.

A brief description of the program is the following:

AMIDEAST's 6-week summer program for Tunisia still has spaces
available.  We are looking for 30 students in all.

Learn & Serve is a program best suited for students who want to get
their feet wet in the Arab World.  It has two parts:  two weeks of
intensive cultural studies, based at Amideast in Tunis, during which
participants experience a range of Tunisian speakers explaining their
history, culture, society, and religion to them.  Students have daily
Tunisian Arabic classes, and we work a four-day trip around the
country into this part of the program.

Two weeks after arrival, participants move to the English Language
Village, a university facility on the coast near Nabeul which is
completely transformed into a summer language camp for Tunisian
university English majors.  Our students live with the Tunisian
students and work with them in structured and non-structured programs
to improve their spoken English.  L&Sers become actual employees of
the Tunisian Ministry of Higher Education for 2 two-week sessions.
Participants continue their study of Tunisian Arabic with returned
Fulbright Language Teaching Assistants, who are also part of the
Language Village program.

An Enrichment Seminar at Mahdia takes place between the Language
Village sessions during which participants assess their experience and
work to improve their teaching while enjoying one of North Africa's
most interesting small cities.

Program costs:  $1700 plus airfare to & from Tunis.  Students receive
a stipend during "Learn" and a small paycheck during "Serve."
Accomodations and transportation included.
Dates:  Arrive Tunis June 27 or 28; Depart Tunis August 12.

Credit:  Students enroll in a 3-hour course, "Tunisian Culture &
Society" through AMIDEAST

Further information:  Please contact the Academic Director and Faculty
Escort, James Miller, miller3 at clemson.edu

and AMIDEAST directly at:  LearnServe at amideast.org