Arabic-L:PEDA:more on voice recording

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Tue Apr 21 03:51:18 UTC 2009

1) Subject:more on voice recording

Date: 20 Apr 2009
From:Alec McAllister <t.a.mcallister at leeds.ac.uk>
Subject:more on voice recording

Several members of this list have recommended Audacity, which I have
used successfully for some years and highly recommend.

Recently, I discovered that there is a known problem with using
Audacity on *SOME* hardware running Vista. Apparently, Vista talks to
hardware in a slightly different way from previous versions of
Windows, and *SOME* audio hardware requires updated drivers to handle
this, even though it runs perfectly well on other hardware running
identical versions of Vista. For example, Audacity absolutely will not
run with Vista on my hardware, but runs perfectly well on my
colleague's PC, because his has a different sound-card and driver.

The Audacity HelpDesk people are well aware of this problem, but
cannot do much to solve it: it is not their fault, and the solution
depends on hardware makers providing suitable drivers.

Audacity works perfectly well for me on the Beta version of Windows 7,
even on five-year-old hardware, so perhaps the solution is to use
Audacity with XP or Windows 7, and skip Vista.

Alec McAllister
Multilingual Computing Co-ordinator
Information Systems Services
University of Leeds