Arabic-L:LING:L2 Arabic Dialect Research Project

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Apr 22 15:42:53 UTC 2009

1) Subject:L2 Arabic Dialect Research Project

Date: 22 Apr 2009
From:Emma Trentman <trentmae at georgetown.edu>
Subject:L2 Arabic Dialect Research Project

Dear Arabic teachers and students,

I'm writing to invite any of you who are non-native or heritage
speakers of Arabic to participate in my research project, which is on
L2 Arabic dialect comprehension.  The purpose of this study is to
contribute to the discussion of diglossia and Arabic teaching by
contributing empirical evidence about factors that affect L2 Arabic
dialect comprehension.  Please feel free to encourage any of your
students as well as any other non-native or heritage speakers of
Arabic you know to participate in this project.  I am looking for all
levels of learners, from beginner to near native, and with all
different exposures to colloquial Arabic, from none to full time
dialectologists.  If you receive this notice more than once, I
apologize, I am simply trying to reach a large sample size.  The
project has IRB approval from Michigan State University, and can be
accessed at the following link.  The activity should take about 30-45
minutes to complete, depending on how fast you type.

http://clear.msu.edu/teaching/online/ria/mashup2/view.php?ID=1596

Thank you for your time, and please feel free to contact me with any
questions.

Emma Trentman
PhD Student, Second Language Studies
Michigan State University