Arabic-L:PEDA:Teaching the Arabic Alphabet

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Thu Apr 23 00:45:38 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Teaching the Arabic Alphabet
2) Subject:Teaching the Arabic Alphabet

Date: 22 Sep 2009
From:JMurg <jmurg at cox.net>
Subject:Teaching the Arabic Alphabet

I haven't used this method, but Leslie McLoughlin advocates teaching the
independent forms first, learning the names of the letters and reciting
them in alphabetical order. As they go along, they learn that the first
sound of the name most letters is the sound represented by the letter.
They can be shown the letter highlighted in words (first the independent
form, then different connected and non-connected shapes) to start
learning to recognize the letters.

It's been a long time since I looked at his book (I think it's _Ten
Hours to Arabic_), but I believe that he advises this method because the
whole alphabet can be covered fairly quickly, giving the learners a
feeling of great accomplishment, and that then learning to recognized
the shapes, followed by how to write them, flows more easily after that.

I haven't used this approach myself, but it appeals to me as someone who
studied Arabic as a foreign language starting from zero.
-- Jackie Murgida