Arabic-L:LING:proposed etymologies for ojal áan d Iraq

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Mon Aug 3 14:20:11 UTC 2009

1) Subject:proposed etymologies for ojalá and Iraq

Date: 03 Aug 2009
From:David Wilmsen <david.wilmsen at gmail.com>
Subject:proposed etymologies for ojalá and Iraq

Two queries have been bothering me ever since they appeared on Arabic-
l. My answer to the first I am almost positive about: the origins of
the name for the country of Iraq is a native Arabic word and not of
Persian origin at all.  It suddenly occurred to me at one point, in
the midst of doing something else entirely, that the word "erg"
describes the geo-morphological feature of a large sandy desert, which
ever since my undergraduate days I have known was a word of Arabic
extraction. It is much more parsimonious to assume that عراق then
is simply the plural of erg (with the realization of the qaf as a /g/,
bedouin style) than it is to follow the speculations of early
lexicographers who, upon failing to find a native Arabic word for the
plural (they must not have been looking hard enough), speculated that
it must be Persian. So it simply means in native Arabic "the sandy
wastes" or "the sandy basins", or as Professor Deeb observed in his
posting of 1 February 2007, "the wastelands".

Traditional and modern Arabic lexicography is a treacherous landscape,
rather like and erg.

Now, as to ojalá, I have been told since childhood that it comes from
the Arabic ان شاء الله but was never convinced. Even when I
knew very little about phonological processes, it seemed to me that
there was simply too much lost in the transformation from Arabic to
Spanish. Some have ventured that it comes from a more intellectually
satisfying لو شاء الله. A perfectly sound phrase. But is it
used? Perhaps it was during the 900 years or so of the Arab presence
in the Iberian penninsula. But I cannot attest to hearing it much
nowadays. Anyone else? And we still have the difficulty of the ش being
reanalysed as /x/.

A much more satisfying alternative derivation is available in the
vernacular ْعلى الله

This is used in Egyptian Arabic to express hope, as with its
(presumed) Spanish daughter, oftentimes in the presence of doubt that
whatever is hoped for will actually occur.

Here we need only to account for the realization of ع as /x/, (and the
loss of one /l/, but that seems trivial by comparison). If you teach
non-native speakers of Arabic, you may find the realization of ع or
its unvoiced counterpart ح as /x/ not all all implausable!

I find these two explanations particularly satisfying because arriving
at them requires resorting to the vernaculars as a repository of
stored ancient information about the language. We bind ourselves too
tightly when relying solely upon the inherited wisdom of the writings
about the classical language. As Jonathan Owens points out in his A
Linguistic History of Arabic, when we do that, we are missing half the
language.

End of Arabic-L:  03 Aug 2009