Arabic-L:LING:ahakadha in the Quran

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Mon Aug 3 14:20:18 UTC 2009

1) Subject:ahakadha in the Quran

Date: 03 Aug 2009
From:kais.dukes at JQURANTREE.ORG
Subject:ahakadha in the Quran

I am hoping to get some help on the word "ahakadha" in the Quran at
chapter
27, verse 42, word 4 (27:42:4), in Surah An-Naml (The Ants). The word
may b=
translated as "Is like this".

This is for the Quran Crescent Corpus (http://quran.uk.net). You can
view
the word in context here at this link:
http://quran.uk.net/Corpus.aspx?chapterNumber=3D27&verseNumber=3D42.
The ai=
m of
this project is produce an accurate word-by-word grammar and
morphology of
the Quran in Arabic, so I'm really looking to get some help with
annotations. This is a complex word, and I think it needs correction
in the
Crescent Quran corpus. I am looking to discuss the word with the
Arabic-speaking members of the Arabic-L mailing list.

I can think of two ways to analyze this word:

(Analysis #1) ahakadha =3D A + ha + ka + dha

In this analysis, we have 4 segments:
- a =3D interrogative Alif
- ha =3D demonstrative pronoun (what is the person, gender and number?)
- ka =3D preposition ("like")
- dha=3D demonstrative pronoun (what is the person, gender and number?)

(Analysis #2) ahakadha =3D A + hakadha

- a =3D interrogative Alif
- hakadha =3D (not sure?)

In the first analysis, we break the word down into 4 segments, with
the "ka=
"
as an infixed preposition. In the second analysis, we have the "a" as an
interrogative Alif, and then the rest of the word as some other part of
speech (Adverb? Pronoun?)

Any help here would be appreciated. I think that the first analysis is
probably the correct one, but this would have an infixed preposition
"ka",
which is usually a prefix, so can this really be correct? If it is
correct,
what might the person, gender and number be for the demonstrative
pronouns?

Looking forward to replies with any suggestions of the morphological
analysis of this word in Arabic!

Kind Regards,

-- Kais Dukes