Arabic-L:LING:'eet' conjugations for Measure 1 hollow

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Aug 5 15:32:04 UTC 2009

1) Subject::'eet' conjugations for Measure 1 hollow

Date: 05 Aug 2009
From:Samira Farwaneh <farwaneh at email.arizona.edu>
Subject::'eet' conjugations for Measure 1 hollow

  Hello

I was following a while back a Kuwaiti serial starring the well-known
actress Suad Abdallah who played the role of a cognitively
underdeveloped
woman....can't remember the title of the series. What intrigued me is
the
language she used, all her Measure 1 hollow verbs were conjugated on par
with weak and geminate verbs. So you would hear gaaleet instead of
gilt and
naameet instead of nimt. Since the character is a 50 year old woman
with an
IQ of a five year old, the writer is making the assumption that this
type of
inflection constitutes  a stage in the acquisition of hollow verbs. My
question is: can this be verified? Are there systematic studies on the
acquisition of verbs by children that corroborate this assumption?

A related observation: We used to have an Iraqi student  who uses the
augmented /eet/ in derived measures, he often says ixtaareet and
istafaadeet
instead of ixtart and istafadt but not in the nonderived measure 1.

If you have any observations or know of references on the inflection of
hollow verbs in child language and various dialects I would appreciate
receiving the information and with many thanks.
Ramadan Mubarak in advance to everyone

Samira Farwaneh

End of Arabic-L:  05 Aug 2009