Arabic-L:PEDA:GMU's offering of Iraqi dialect

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Aug 26 23:14:15 UTC 2009

1) Subject:GMU's offering of Iraqi dialect

Date: 26 Aug 2009
From:Sana N Hilmi <shilmi at gmu.edu>
Subject:GMU's offering of Iraqi dialect

Dear Dr. Franke, other interested faculty, students and scholars,

First, I am sorry that I did not reply to this e-mail sooner. I didn't
have a 100% answer until this last week when all my books arrived. At
the same time, I wanted to ask another colleague to make sure that I
give the correct information.

So, in addition to what has been mentioned: the Northern (Maslawi),
Central (Baghdadi), and Southren (Basrawi) there is also Al-Ahwar,
Marsh Arabs. We also have a lot of gypsies who have a distinct dialect
of their own as well but not seen as a dialect.
For Marsh Arabs, check out this web site:
  http://www.reference.com/browse/Marsh+Arabs

In terms of the course, the texts focus mainly on Baghdadi dialect.
Basrawi is not that different, but Maslawi needs a lot of work.
Unfortunately, there aren't any books that can be used that will serve
the purpose.

We are using the books that you have mentioned, there weren't others
that interested me.
Modern Iraqi Arabic -2nd ed. by Alkalesi
A Basic Course in Iraqi Arabic by Erwin
A short Reference Grammar for Iraqi Arabic by Erwin.
for students use: Iraqi Phrase-book by Alkalesi.
And, A dictionary of Iraqi Arabic.
In addition to these books, there will be reading packages that
represent the folklore of Iraq. They will have short stories, songs of
different dialects and idioms.

As a faculty, I lived in Baghdad, my parents are two Baghdadi
speakers, and my mother is a native of Maslawi. Part of my plan is to
talk about the phonological differences between the dialects. And, I
will have lists of vocab, idioms, proverbs adn songs that will show
some distinctions between them.
As for the Basrawi, my Iraqi colleague from Basra will be a guest
speaker for about two weeks to talk about Basrawi ,and his experience
living in Basra.

thanks for asking, sorry for the delay, and enjoy your summer,

Sana

Miss Sana Hilmi, M.A.
Arabic Professor and Coordinator
Modern and Classical Languages