Arabic-L:LING:Arabic Dialects with /m-/ prefix for present continuous

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Thu Feb 12 23:38:40 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Arabic Dialects with /m-/ prefix for present continuous
2) Subject:Arabic Dialects with /m-/ prefix for present continuous
3) Subject:Arabic Dialects with /m-/ prefix for present continuous
4) Subject:Arabic Dialects with /m-/ prefix for present continuous
5) Subject:Arabic Dialects with /m-/ prefix for present continuous

Date: 12 Feb 2009
From:Uri Horesh <uri.horesh at fandm.edu>
Subject:Arabic Dialects with /m-/ prefix for present continuous

'm assuming this isn't specifically what you were talking about, but
Levantine dialects (probably most notable the dialect of Damascus)
have a /m-/ prefix for 1st person plural verbs. It is merely the
result of phonological assimilation:

b --> m /_n

E.g.: bnoktob --> mnoktob 'we write'.

To be precise, these prefixes don't denote any particular time/tense,
but rather the indicative mood.

Another instance of this phonological assimilation is the adverb /
bnoob/ '[not] at all', which is often pronounced [mnoob] in Damascene.

I, for one, would like to hear more about these Central Asian dialects.

Thanks,
Uri