Arabic-L:PEDA:simplified news webcasts

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Feb 18 19:19:34 UTC 2009

1) Subject:simplified news webcasts

Date: 18 Feb 2009
From:from Arabic K-12 list
Subject:simplified news webcasts

[ some of you might not be aware of the Arabic K-12 lists (separate
from Arabic-L) which posts items of interest to K-12 teachers.  Go to www.arabick12.org
<http://www.arabick12.org> for more info.  The following message is
from that list.]

Dear Educators,

We're pleased to inform you about a brand new project we've started
with the Arabic K12 Project. We will now be posting regular Arabic
podcasts directed toward Arabic teachers and students.

The News in Simplified Arabic is posted to the web twice monthly and
delivers a survey of the previous two weeks' news in simplified
standard Arabic Listeners of Voice of America's "Special English"
broadcasts will recognize the slightly slower rate of speech and
textual redundancy which characterize these webcasts.

Why? In earlier times, the news was easy to understand. The formulaic
messages were predictable and the diction clear and slow. But since
the advent of modern media outlets such as Al Jazeera Al Arabiya,
newscasts feature telegraphic speech and fast diction. Our webcasts
serve as a stepping stone between the teacher talk of the classroom
and the "real" Arabic of the media.

Authentic news. The news itself is taken from a number of Arabic-
language sites, including BBC-Arabic Service, Al Jazeera, CNN, Al
Hayat, and others. The editorial "slant" is left unchanged and should
not be taken to represent the views of the NCLRC.

Go to:

http://nclrc.org/webcasts/arabic/