Arabic-L:GEN:Arabesque Festival

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Feb 18 19:19:50 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Arabesque Festival

Date: 18 Feb 2009
From:David Wilmsen <david.wilmsen at gmail.com>
Subject:Arabesque Festival

I enthusiastically encourage anyone who happens to be in DC on 8 March
to attend Fathy Salama's concert at the Kennedy Centre on 8 March. His
music blends jazz and eastern elements, which is a difficult thing to
accomplish, but accomplish it he does with stunning success. He is
known amongst western jazz musicians and has played with many of them.
The jazz elements in the music appear especially when Fathy solos,
which he doesn't always do; but when he does, his piano reminds me of
Cecil Taylor in his earlier, more lyrical phase. His band Sharkiat
encompasses highly proficient mucisians in their own right, amongst
whom it would be hard for me to name a favourite, but Ayman Sidky's
performances on traps (which he sometimes plays with his bare hands)
are an inspiration to behold, and Salah El Artist's accordian sends me
into bliss!

If you are there, don't miss it!  (Or, as they say, "Be Square")

--
David Wilmsen, PhD, Arabic language and linguistics
Visiting Associate Professor of Arabic