Arabic-L:PEDA:EU or UK funding for Arabic study abroad?

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Thu Feb 26 20:51:39 UTC 2009

1) Subject:EU or UK funding for Arabic study abroad?

Date: 26 Feb 2009
From:David Wilmsen <david.wilmsen at gmail.com>
Subject:EU or UK funding for Arabic study abroad?

  am getting more and more requests for information about funding
sources from European students and those from the UK who wish to study
Arabic abroad. Some of them are already abroad and studying in Beirut
but wish to continue their studies here. I have done a bit of research
into the subject and I find that there seem not to be as many programs
to which prospective students might apply than there are now in the
US. My EU students are inclined to agree with me. The UK seems a bit
more generous but not much. Am I missing something? Does anyone on the
list know of funding sources for European students wishing to study
Arabic abroad?

--
David Wilmsen, PhD, Arabic language and linguistics
Visiting Associate Professor of Arabic