Arabic-L:PEDA:Survey for High School Arabic teachers

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Jan 23 18:26:59 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Survey for High School Arabic teachers

Date: 23 Jan 2009
From:bjgrage at cord.edu
Subject:Survey for High School Arabic teachers

[I you would like to participate in this survey, please fill it out
and send back to Bridget Grage at the above address.  do not hit reply
and send it back to the list--moderator]

Concordia College, Moorhead, MN
CONSENT TO PARTICIPATE IN A RESEARCH STUDY

TITLE OF STUDY: Integrating Arabic Dialects into the High School
Modern Standard Arabic Classroom

INVESTIGATOR: Bridget Hirsch, bjgrage at cord.edu

PROTOCOL NUMBER: 12042008

PURPOSE: You are being asked to participate in a research study. This
study will explore how dialects can be integrated into the high school
classroom and better understand the available resources and current
policies.

PARTICIPANTS: You are being asked to participate as an Arabic high
school teacher.

PROCEDURES: If you choose to participate, please fill out the three
page survey included. Please email back the survey to bjgrage at cord.edu

RISKS: There are no known risks or discomforts associated with this
study.

BENEFITS: I hope the results from this study will benefit Arabic
teachers and learners.

CONFIDENTIALITY: Your responses will not be linked to your name or
your school in my thesis. You will not be personally identified in any
reports/publications that result from this study. Only Bridget Hirsch,
the researcher, will have access to the data.

COSTS/COMPENSATION: There is no cost or compensation for participating
in this study.

RIGHT TO REFUSE OR WITHDRAW: You may refuse to participate or withdraw
from the study at anytime without penalty.

If you have any questions, please contact me. My email address is bjgrage at cord.edu

You may report (anonymously, if you so choose) any complaints or
comments regarding the manner in which this study is being conducted
to the Concordia College Institutional Review Board at (218) 299-3001
or by addressing a letter to the Chair of the Concordia College
Institutional Review Board, c/o Academic Affairs Office, Concordia
College, 901 8th St. S., Moorhead, MN 56562.

Filling out the following survey indicates that I have decided to
volunteer as a research participant and that I have read, I
understand, and I have received a copy of this consent form.

FILLING OUT THE FOLLWING MEANS YOU CONSENT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE STUDY

Please return at your earliest convenience, or by January 5th ~ Thank
you!

TEACHER SURVEY    (Please feel free to use additional pieces of paper
if needed!)

Dear Arabic colleagues,

Salaamaat to you all and greetings from the American Association of
Teachers of Arabic.  I am writing a brief foreword to this survey in
order to encourage you to respond to it in a timely fashion, even
though this is one of the busiest times of year for all of us.
Research projects such as this one are crucial keys to understanding
the needs and new directions in our Arabic teaching profession, and
the few minutes you take to help by filling out the survey will
benefit greatly the entire field.  Thank you for participating in this
study.

Karin Ryding
President, American Association of Teachers of Arabic
Professor Emerita, Georgetown University

Information Regarding Your High School

1.	Name of your high school:
2.	High school address:
3.	Is your school public or private? Select one:				Public	[  ]
Private [  ]
4.	Languages offered at your school besides Arabic:
5.	Is studying a world language required?  Select one:			YES [  ]	NO
[  ]
6.	How many total Arabic language teachers are in your school? Include
yourself:
7.	Does your school offer an Arabic “dialect-only” language course?
	YES [  ]	NO [  ]
a.	If so, please specify which dialect-only classes are available?
Your Background

8.	Are you a native speaker of Arabic? 					YES [  ]	NO [  ]
a.	If yes, what is your native dialect?
b.	Are you proficient in any other dialects? Please list:
9.	If you are not a native speaker, where did you learn Arabic? Please
specify MSA versus dialect:

a.	Are you proficient in any dialects? Please list:
10.	Approximately how many years you have been teaching high school
Arabic:

11.	Please self-rate your proficiency in Modern Standards Arabic (MSA):
Beginning [  ]		Intermediate [  ]		Advanced [  ]		Superior [  ]

12.	Please self-rate your proficiency in an Arabic Dialect. Please
specify which dialect(s):
Beginning [  ]		Intermediate [  ]		Advanced [  ]		Superior [  ]

The use of Modern Standard Arabic and Dialects in Your Classroom

Please select the correct answer, and fill in the blanks as needed:

13.	On average, how many minutes is your typical Arabic class period?
14.	On average, how many days per week does your typical Arabic class
meet?
15.	Your classroom instruction is normally conducted using:
a.	[  ] Only Modern Standard Arabic
b.	[  ] Only dialect(s). Please specify which dialect:
c.	[  ] Both Modern Standard and dialect(s). Please specify which
dialect:

16.	If your instruction is conducted in both MSA and dialect, which is
introduced first? Please choose one:
a.	[  ] Modern Standard is introduced first
b.	[  ] Dialect is introduced first
c.	[  ] Modern Standard and dialect are introduced at the same time

17.	Please estimate the percentage of YOUR use of MSA, dialect, and
English in the classroom for the following skills. Please note the
numbers in each column should add up to %100.

Reading
Writing
Listening
Speaking
MSA

Dialect

English

Total
%100
%100
%100
%100

18.	Please estimate the percentage of your STUDENTS’ use of MSA,
dialect, and English in the classroom for the following skills. Please
note the numbers in each column should add up to %100.

Reading
Writing
Listening
Speaking
MSA

Dialect

English

Total
%100
%100
%100
%100

19.	In your opinion, do the following tasks require MSA, dialect, or
both? Please select 1, 2 or 3:

Understanding the media:

1-MSA    2-Dialect    3-Both

Reading Arabic texts:

1-MSA    2-Dialect    3-Both

Writing in Arabic:

1-MSA    2-Dialect    3-Both

Conversing in Arabic:

1-MSA    2-Dialect    3-Both

20.	Do you use Educated Spoken Arabic in your instruction?		YES [  ]
NO [  ]
a.	If yes, please self-rate your proficiency in Educated Spoken Arabic
(ESA):
Beginning [  ]		Intermediate [  ]		Advanced [  ]		Superior [  ]

Information Regarding Your Language Teaching Resources

21.	Please provide the following information regarding access to
language teaching resources for both MSA and dialect with as much
detail as possible. Use an additional sheet of paper if necessary.

Modern Standard Arabic
Dialect (Specify:            )
Text Books
(name, author)

Films
(examples)

Music
(examples)

Internet(articles, blogs, music, videos, etc? Please explain)

Other resources
(explain)

22.	Please rate your access to MSA and dialect language teaching
resources. Select one:
MSA Resources

[  ] Great

[  ] OK

[  ] Lacking

[  ] Nonexistent

Dialect Resources

[  ] Great

[  ] OK

[  ] Lacking

[  ] Nonexistent

23.	If you selected “lacking” or “nonexistent”, do you believe
this affects your teaching? Please explain:

Are you willing to be contacted with further questions? If so, please
provide a phone number or email address:

شكراً جزيلاً
Bridget Hirsch