Arabic-L:PEDA:Which colloquials at which institutions

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Wed Jan 28 20:15:17 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Which colloquials at which institutions

Date: 28 Jan 2009
From:"Mutarjm at aol.com" <Mutarjm at aol.com>
Subject:Which colloquials at which institutions

Greetings to all... ahalan wa sahalan liljamii3...

UCLA offers **occasional** (on demand) courses in the Baghdadi dialect
of Iraqi Arabic. Dr. Yasin Khalasi has been the primary instructor.
While I think he is also familiar with the "Muslawi" dialect found up
north and "Basrawi" in southern Iraq, the Baghdadi is the most-demand
dialect and reflected in his course materials.

U. of Arizona offers (offered?) some academic courses in Gulf
(Emirati) Arabic (I am uncertain if those are still being offered).

On behalf of the DOD, I sometimes teach basic/introductory to
intermediate/"special purpose" courses in Saudi (Najdi and Hijazi) and
Gulf (Emirati). Classes start with MSA and segue to the desired
regional dialects as the students show they can attune their
understanding and hearing and are more enegetic in making their
utterances in Arabic. Since most "special purpose courses relate to
advising, training, and facilitating with GCC Arabians on technology
transfers, MSA occupies a heavy -- if not primary -- share of content.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California