Arabic-L:LING:kathalika ( كذلك)

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Sat Jul 4 10:49:32 UTC 2009

1) Subject:kathalika (كذلك)

Date: 04 Jul 2009
From:Kais Dukes <kais.dukes at jqurantree.org>
Subject:kathalika (كذلك)

Hello Mai (and the Arabic L list),

I asked a good friend of mine (a PhD student in Morroco), here was her
response on the subject, in terms of "classical traditional Arabic
morphology":

"I am writing to tell you about the word "Ka-thalika"; I discussed the
subject with a lady who did Islamic Studies this morning. I think it's
a compound word conatining 7arf attashbih (ka ) and ism isharah (tha)
and lam albu3d and ka lilmoukhatab (li-ka). It's hard for me to
confirm that especially when dealing with Quran, but I think that the
word kathalika is mainly compound and should be divided - if you like
it- this way:

Ka-: 7arf tashbih
-tha-: 7arf ishara
-li-: lilbou3d
-ka:  lilmoukhatab

P.S:
I am sure that you must have thought of this but I would like to cite
that in Quran we can also find words like: kathaliki (surah Al-Imran:
47), kathalikum (surah Al-Fath: 15); therefore, the last "ka" in
"kathalika" can become "ki" or "kum" depending on the number of
mukhatab we have; and when the ending is not static then it's
something we can add and remove depending on the context... So, my
opinion is that kathalika is compound, not one word."

Regards,

-- Kais