Arabic-L:LING:Argreement refs

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Sun Jul 26 04:39:13 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Argreement refs

Date: 26 Jul 2009
From:MLETOURNEAU at WEBER.EDU
Subject:Argreement refs

As you're probably aware, impoverished subject-verb agreement in VSO
senten=
ces in Standard Arabic has received a great deal of attention. Here
are som=
e places to look:

1. Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics: papers by Bolotin (1992),
Belnap (19=
93?), LeTourneau (1995, 2003), Mohammad (1990) and the references
cited the=
rein

2. Elabbas Benmamoun's (2000) book from Oxford and a recent article in
Ling=
uistic Inquiry (2006)

3. Maher Bahlooul's article on agreement in Encyclopedia of Arabic
Language=
and Linguistics (Vol I, 2006, Brill)

4. Fassi Fehri al-Kader's 1993 book from Kluwer, The Structure of
Arabic Cl=
auses and Words

Fassi Fehri also published a paper on agreement in an LFG framework in
a 19=
88 collection edited by Barlow and Ferguson. I'm not aware of
functionalist=
literature on the subject per se, but other papers in this collection
may =
address that, as does Barlow's dissertation (I think),  published by
Garlan=
d in its Outstanding Dissertations in Linguistics series.=20

Mark LeTourneau