Arabic-L:LING:Nunated ending in dialects query

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Sat Jun 20 14:40:08 UTC 2009

1) Subject:Nunated ending in dialects query

Date: 20 Jun 2009
From:kmiller3 at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject:Nunated ending in dialects query

Is anyone aware of any Arabic dialects apart from Najdi Arabic which
add a
nunated ending onto an active participle WITHOUT adding any suffix
onto the
nunation?

Examples from Najdi (source- Bruce Ingham: 1994. Najdi Arabic: Central
Arabian.
Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company):

l-i        saa'ah      w-ana     kaatb               -in            al-
xaTT (90)
  to-me   hour	    and-I      have written -IND    the-letter
?It?s been an hour since I wrote the letter?

in which kaatbin takes a complement and therefore has a level of
specificity as
opposed to:

l-i          saa?ah      w-ana     naayim (90)
to-me    hour	    and-I      have been asleep
?I have been asleep for an hour?

Thanks,

~Keri Miller