Arabic-L:LING:kathaalik ( كذلك)

Dilworth Parkinson dil at BYU.EDU
Fri Jun 26 11:12:50 UTC 2009

1) Subject:kathaalik (كذلك)
2) Subject:kathaalik (كذلك)
3) Subject:kathaalik (كذلك)
4) Subject:kathaalik (كذلك)
5) Subject:kathaalik (كذلك)
6) Subject:kathaalik (كذلك) (response of original poster)
7) Subject:kathaalik (كذلك)

Date: 26 Jun 2009
From:Waheed Samy <wasamy at umich.edu>
Subject:kathaalik (كذلك)

ka (as, like, similar to) is attached to a demonstrative.  The
following is not an exhaustive list:
(كَ + اسم الإشارة)
كذا
كهذا
كهذه
كذلكَ
كذلكُم
كتلكَ
كتلكُم
كهذان/ين
كهاتان/تين
كهؤلاء
In all instances كَ (ka) has the meaning as, like, or similar to.  I
don't believe ka changes the meaning of ذلك.  But I remember that
ذلك is a portmanteau comprising  كَ (ka)+ذا (dha)+لِكَ
(lika); the latter itself perhaps comprising لِ (li) + كَ (ka), as
evidence from كذلكم and كتلكم suggests.  It may be that there
existed a more complete list of which ذلِكُم and تِلكُم are
frozen remnants.

Waheed Samy